I got tagged with a million bucks by mumsgather. Oy how cool would it be if I had a million bucks! I shall achieve.. Can it be done??? Can ANYONE be ANYTHING they want to be?!
I hope it is a million bucks after tax, because tax is so effin hefty here in the US, and yet you don’t get the social / health care benefits as you would in say, Canada or any European countries. Seriously. Did you know my friend in Sweden got 18 MONTHS of PAID maternity leave, 100% of her salary, after having her child? (by the way she was a professional, news anchor to be exact, not married.. but she said that type of benefit is quite standard for everyone.) Not the 6 or 8 weeks of 60% crap like here, which two out of those weeks are your own vacation time; and many don’t even get ANY paid maternity leave…
Anyhow. Here’s my break down of the million bucks.
* Donate some $$$ to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
* Donate some $$$ to breast cancer research.
* Hire someone / some group to facilitate volunteer work in remote China, where many many infant baby girls are being killed simply because they are born a girl and not a boy, in a country where families are often only allowed to have one child. Perhaps set up drop off points where babies can be saved and put up for adoption?! Or to provide education and empowerment to local women/men?! I don’t know. This problem is too big… in fact, for the last couple of decades, population in China has been skewed worse and worse, experts predict that very soon, men in China will not be able to find a wife within their own country easily and pretty soon the whole country will be like 90% male! (since many if not most families only want to have male child/ren..) Any ideas?!
After I solve some word issues (only if it’s that easy..), I’ll tackle my personal stuff.
* Hire a few experienced people to expedite the start of our business. Area of expertise will include these but not limited to: retail, graphic design, PR, writer/content person, marketing, QA/tester, etc etc.
* Hire a nanny / au-pair to look after the kids part-time, as we have NO family nearby.
* Move my parents closer to me and my brother; buy/build them a quaint 2-bedroom house in the metro outskirt, so my mom can plant veggies and flowers and my dad can have a 4-car garage.
* Put some money in the market to invest and grow. Like a constant fountain, or a money tree, if you will.
If there’s any money left after that, which I doubt, Hubby and I will take a nice long backpacking vacation to Europe and eventually end up in Thailand, by way of train. I think this will have to wait until after the kids leave for college though.
Whoa. I think all that will cost more than a million. Ah well, one can always dream big.
OK. I’m suppose to tag 5 people. But what the heck, I’m going to tag whoever comes to mind :
Ann in Toronto
Let us hear what you will do with a million bucks. Either do it on your own blog or use the comment section, thanks.
p.s. I just realized I don’t have even one male reader (at least none that I know of). am I that boring to the opposite sex?